In the Fall of 2009, the Board of Directors approved a $1,000 annual award for a College Scholarship to be presented each year to a high school senior, boy or girl, who has participated on the SWMJGT as a 17 year old. This scholarship commenced during the 2009 season and the first award was made before the end of the school year in 2010, with the following proclamation:
"The South West Montana Junior Golf Tour $1,000.00 college scholarship will be awarded annually to the top qualifying male or female golfer, regardless of high school affiliation, who has participated on the SWMJGT Tour as a 17 year old, who has earned a minimum high school GPA of 3.0, who has achieved the most notable accomplishments on the golf course and who best epitomizes those strong character attributes to which the South West Montana Junior Golf Tour aspires to see in our community’s young men and women."
Past recipients are:
- 2022 - ???
- 2021 - -NA-
- 2020 - -NA-
- 2019 - -NA-
- 2018 - -NA-
- 2017 - -NA-
- 2016 - Taggart Sullivan - Helena
- 2015 - Hailey Ogolin - Butte
- 2014 - Jackson Wagner - Anaconda
- 2013 - Dublin Sullivan - Helena
- 2012 - Ashley Williams - Butte
- 2011 - Teryn Green - Anaconda
- 2010 - Bryson Buska - Helena
Scholarship Rules and Procedures:
- A $1,000.00 college scholarship will be awarded annually to the top qualifying male or female golfer, regardless of high school affiliation, who has participated on the SWMJGT Tour as a 17 year old, who has earned a minimum high school GPA of 3.0; who has achieved the most notable accomplishments on the golf course and who best epitomizes those strong character attributes to which the South West Montana Junior Golf Tour aspires to see in our community’s young men and women.
- On April 15th each year, we will begin the process of determining the male and female golfers that are qualified to apply for this scholarship. In the event that we would not be able to award a scholarship in any year (for example: if there was nobody deemed qualified for any reason), then in this instance, the scholarship award would stay in the Foundation for use in future years.
- A “Letter of Qualification” will be sent out to each qualified male and female on our list (see letter example attached).
- The qualified golfers will be required to submit a “Letter of Application” back to the Foundation, no later than May 31st (see rules listed below):
- List achievements on the golf course for both high school and amateur golf.
- List any future plans for golf.
- List the college or university to be attended.
- List the field intended to major in.
- List why he/she is worthy of consideration for receiving the Scholarship.
- Include a paragraph explaining, “What role golf has played in my life.”
- Once all “Letters of Application” have been received, the Board of Directors will conduct a vote to determine the Scholarship Recipient.
- A letter notifying the Scholarship Recipient will be sent out immediately explaining that the official SWMJGT “Outstanding Golfer Scholarship” will be officially awarded at next season's SWMJGT Tour Championship Awards Banquet, held in early August at Old Works Golf Course. He/she will be invited to attend as a Guest of Honor!
- A Scholarship Certificate will be produced and will be forwarded to the Scholarship Recipient.
- A Press Release announcing the Scholarship Recipients will be sent to the various media outlets (Radio, Newspaper, Television & Online) for PSA broadcasts throughout our community.
- Soon after the Scholarship Award Ceremony, a letter of congratulations will be sent to the Scholarship Recipient, from the Board of Directors. At that time, it will be explained to him/her the “Rules of Acceptance” of the Scholarship. These rules are:
- Recipient MUST attend a college or university in the coming Fall Semester in order to receive the Scholarship.
- Scholarship monies will be sent directly to that college or university, made payable to both the Recipient –AND- the college or university.
- The college or university will be instructed to disperse 50% of the money for the Fall Semester and 50% of the money for the Spring Semester.
- Recipient will NOT receive cash. All monies are to be used for Tuition, Books, Fees, Room, Board, etc., that are charged by their school.
- Recipient will be sent a “Waiver Form” which will give the Butte Junior Golf Foundation permission to use Recipient’s likeness, photo, Letter of Application, golf stats, etc., for future use on the Foundation’s website, collateral materials, advertisements, fundraisers, etc.
- If needed, we will ask the Recipient to either submit a photo or we can arrange to have one taken. A golf photo would be preferable.
- If for any reason the Scholarship Recipient is unable to adhere to the aforementioned Rules and Procedures of the SWMJGT Scholarship award, all applicable Scholarship monies will revert back to the Foundation.
- In 2016, the BOD instituted a rule that requires a minimum of 60 players on the Tour in a given year in order for the Scholarship to be made available.